Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Melissa's Mediocre Iron Man Review

I know the first thing you thought of when you got on the internet the first thing in the morning and saw that the internet had magically produced the Iron Man 3 trailer was “What did Melissa think of the trailer?” First of all, that’s kind of weird that one of the first things you thought of was me. When it comes to Iron Man, I really don’t mind.




Most of you know by now, but some of you don’t so I will fill you in. I’m a huge Iron Man fan. Granted, I’m pretty new to the entire series. I’m going to go ahead and admit that I jumped on the bandwagon back in 2008 when I happened to catch an eight o’clock showing of Iron Man with my sister and our respective boyfriends at the time. Marvel decided to add last minute 8pm shows to try and boost numbers for the weekend gross, and because of the change, the theater was almost empty when I watched it for the first time. I had always been a comic book fan growing up, but I was never heavy into the scene. I could name and identify all of the X-Men from the amazing 90’s X-Men: The Animated Series. But Iron Man? Really? A guy in a suit of iron, great. What’s the big deal with this Tony Stark guy? 2 hours later, I had one goal in my mind that was ringing loud and clear. I want to understand all of these fantastic characters in the Marvel universe.

After reading comic book after comic book, the storylines and characters of Iron Man really stuck with me. Tony Stark is indeed a genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist, but he is so much more than that. He really in most regards a broken man fighting the world with his ideals of a better place for humanity to thrive. He has several problems, serious problems that lessen with the help of our good friend Jack Daniels. Whenever Tony makes a decision he dives in head first, using his own warped morals and dealing with the consequences later. From the looks of this trailer, it looks like are dealing with the double edged sword that is Tony Stark and the heavy burden that he has to endure with wearing the Iron Man suit.




The trailer is dark and I that aspect to death. Panic, screaming, tension? Awesome. However, this is a huge step away from the snarky loveable jerkface that we have grown accustomed to. When Iron Man first came into theaters, many people had compared it to the Dark Knight trilogy. The best example of is happens to come from 4chan: Iron Man is the FunVee, The Dark Knight is the HumDrumVee. Batman was supposed to be the tough, sad intense journey and Iron Man was the more light hearted adventure. Sure, Tony has had some hardships in the movies, but he shot a Watermelon! He makes fun of everyone he meets! What a wacky guy.

It looks like the movie is taking an Extremis route, which is also fantastic. I know this was confirmed back when they were filming, but I still had to hold out until the trailer told me so. Without derailing this thread, Extremis is arguably the best the Iron Man comics have to offer. The tone of the Extremis is a dark and scary one, with Tony trying to turn himself into a monster in order to defeat the physical and emotional demons he was dealing with. Extremis is a fantastic step towards new beginnings for Iron Man. I’m really excited to see how the plot develops. I don’t know how the dark turn will go with the audiences that are used to Tony and his schwarma loving antics. Only time will tell for that one.




A big elephant in the room when watching the plot has to be the portrayal of the Mandarin, who is played by Ben Kingsley. The weakest part of the Iron Man universe is the villains. Titanium Man is a villain that has a suit made of Titanium. Madam Masque is a villain with a mask. The writers of Iron Man really weren’t that creative with the actual villains. Look, the Mandarin was called the Mandarin because he was Asian and had some magic rings from which he gets his powers. It’s not a lot to go off of when Iron Man is technology based and has no magic whatsoever. So, what do we do with this? Faverau had to combine villains in Iron Man 2 just to make a villain that had some kind of depth to him. I can understand why Shane Black let loose with the character. I honestly don’t care what Black or Kingsley do to the Mandarin, as long as they make him interesting, I’m a happy camper.




Other than that, the trailer really did do much to excite me. Tony and Pepper in trouble? Ok. Mansion being blown up? Eh, ok. Underwater Iron Man? Alright. The other two movies had something to rev up the audience for the movie to come out. Iron Man breaking the speed of sound was baller, and the suitcase suit was top notch. But the trailer ends with the arc reactor going out, a cut away to Tony walking in the snow, and then the date of the release. Did I miss something? I’m assuming the suit is in the bag. Unless it’s Pepper! OR RHODEY. Man, this trailer got a whole lot darker.

I’m saddened to say that nothing in that trailer made me excited for the 3rd installment to the Iron Man franchise. Then again, I did say the Avengers movie looks god awful and I was completely blown away with how awesome the movie was. I did also say that the Iron Man 2 trailer was amazing, and we all know how that movie turned out. So take what you will from this Iron Man fan. Let’s hope third time is the charm with this franchise.







No comments:

Post a Comment