Wednesday, December 19, 2012

I really like Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale.



So, if you have seen me on PSN in the last month, I've have been only playing one game non stop. Playstation All Stars Battle Royale happens to be the most fun I've ever had on the PS3 and one of the best fighting games I've ever experienced. Strong opening statement, right? Well, I'm not that big of a technical fighting fan. Games like Street Fighter, King of Fighters and Tekken are not my cup of tea. The games have a huge learning curve that make the game less fun to me. Unless I get the game launch date and pour my heart into memorizing combos, I have no chance of making any progress in a legitimate fighting game. To me, unless you are a very skilled gamer, you have the same chance of winning as someone who just picked up the game. Let me tell you, nothing is more thrilling than getting your ass handed to you by a 14 year boy that just got home from school that just bought the game yesterday. I like even playing fields and Playstation All Stars makes sure that skill is a big factor into every match.





I'm not going to sugar coat it,All Stars is a direct rip-off from the Smash Bros franchise. Explaining all of the similarities would take way too much time and effort for something that is so blatantly obvious. When I play All Stars, I don't get the feeling of a carbon copy game. The developer has taken a well-crafted fighting game and refined it giving each character more depth and personality. The number of different characters is average for a fighting game, but the most surprising aspect of All Stars is that every characters individual moves are very true to the characters personal fighting style. When I play as Nathan Drake, I feel like I'm back in the mechanics of the Uncharted series. Although some characters are very similar, all of the characters play very differently and are still very balanced. It’s a well-crafted aspect of the game that makes this one stand out.


My favorite character to play is Kratos. Saying he’s a bit of a jerk is an understatement. I’ve been called a certain term so many times, I’m starting to think that I am really a bundle of sticks. He’s fun to play and when you play him right he can be extremely annoying. Which brings me to my only real problem with the game, most people can win by spamming the same effective move over and over again. I’m looking at you, Radec, Sly and Drake. Sackboy was the biggest offender in this category, but a well needed patch nerfed him to being one of the bottom ranks. Kratos tends to fall into this category, but you can only get so far with being so cheap when it comes to Kratos. Rarely am I out Kratosed by another Kratos, but that is another story for another time.


The game so far has a good following, I have never had to wait more than a minute to get into a new match. Online multiplayer is done very well, everyone being muted at the recap of the match a double edged sword. I’m so happy when someone who talks smack is promptly shut up as soon as they lose the match, but I miss rubbing their loss into their faces when they make keep on asking me to make them a sandwich. I guess that’s what messages are for.  

Once you understand the gameplay and what each level’s power does, the game becomes very addicting. Ranked matches become very intense with the belt ranking system. I’m still trying for my red belt with Kratos, and patience is a virtue that is used often in trying to rank up. (I still don’t know what a patience bonus is for.) That being said, I’m off to play some more ranked multiplayer. If you haven’t added me already, you should. (PSN: MelissaHogan)

No comments:

Post a Comment